Sunday, June 8, 2008

Clipping Woes

OK, so I have been full clipping Sparky for the past few years due to her Cushings. This spring, she surprisingly shed out almost all of her wooly coat! I was shocked. Plus we had a cold spring, so while I usually clip her in April, I waited longer this year.

So yesterday it was so hot and humid that I figured it was time. I bathed her first (which makes no sense.....bathe a horse to only then CLIP all the hair OFF!) but I had to because she was so filthy from the rain (read: mud) earlier in the week. My clipper blades would have been dull in about 2.2 seconds.

So she is squeaky clean and I put her out on the back lawn to graze on the nice grass. If I put her in her pasture, she would have rolled. But for some reason the back lawn is ROLL FREE territory. LOL!

When she is dry, I bring her in the barn to clip her. But instead of doing a full clip like I usually do, I figure I ought to leave her legs (I already clipped them last week) and a saddle shaped area. Oh how fancy!

Well the off side went well. I used an actual saddle pad for the outline. It looked OK for my first time......then to the near side.

I am clipping along, thinking how good I am getting at this body clipping stuff. Just clipping everything like usual.....OH CRAP! I clipped off most of her "saddle mark" on the near side! UGGGG! So I try to save it, but honestly, it looks horrible. The off side looks like a normal sized AP saddle mark, while the near side looks like a teeny tiny dressage saddle mark.

Poor Sparky. At least she did not seem to mind, as I gave her plenty of carrots.

It will grow in and look normal again.......in the meantime I might just have to clip the entire saddle mark off. :(

No comments: