Thursday, June 12, 2008

Rushing at home :(

So tonight's ride started out well. It was a jumping night. :) We warmed up and Dreamy was really settled into a nice relaxed rhythm. The connection to the bit was good and she was not doing the teeny head toss thing.

I warmed up over a small crossrail. Then we went to an easy gymnastic: 18" vertical, ground pole, 2' crossrail. Each had a stride between. She wants to drift to the left, which is fine, I can correct that. She was a bit sticky, so I did it a couple times each direction. We got a good rhythm and she cantered easily through it.

Then we went to the "big" 2'7" gate. I like this jump. :) She did fine, each direction. Her bascule is such that I get bumped out of the saddle over the fence. I KNOW my leg slips back and I KNOW I need some jumping equitation help! GRRR....it is just like my dressage equitation, as it is all shot to hell from not having had a lesson in 7 years. Oh well, have to fix one thing at a time....

SO, anyway, I then did the combination to the crossrail, to the gate. Did that twice and called it good. She is jumping much better, picking up a nice easy canter both ways, and all that needs help is ME. :)

Then I get the bright idea to try my canter circles. I should have just called it a night and put her up....but NO I have to push myself. Uggg......

And I start to the left, her worst side. Oh boy, we get a nice flat out RUN into the pace each time I ask for the canter. WHY OH WHY does she NOT do this rushing thing at my lessons???? I have to work so hard not to get frustrated. Mostly I feel as though if we only had a RING to work in, these problems would not happen. I HATE THAT!

So I ditch the cantering and just try to get a nice trot in this direction. But she looses her mind momentarily and has to be an idiot. So we do 3 strides of trot, 8 strides of WALK. And halt. And a teeny bit of trotting and HALT. We have not had this type of stress for a long time.

Then I switch direction once I get a halfway decent trot. She is FINE to canter to the right. Of course......

So I figure we better get a left lead canter before I call it a night. I get the bright idea to use the crossrail to get a canter....it works. I trot in and canter out 3 times. The last time her canter is actually quite nice. :)

Dreamy ended up working much harder than I planned on tonight. Oh well. Her own fault. Tomorrow will be a dressage ride in preparation for our SMDA show in Sunday. We have Intro B at 9:23AM and Training 1 at 10:55. HUGE classes.....Intro B has 12 riders and Training 1 has 16. Probably no shot at a ribbon (SIGH). I am such a ribbon ho. I know, I know it is not about the ribbons. ROFL! I will just be happy to break 55% on the Training test. Over 60% for Intro B would be nice. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!