So, it has rained 19 out of the last 20 days. It is incredibly frustrating to have THIS MUCH rain. Why is rain bad? Well, let's see...
- I have only ridden a handful of times in the past 3 weeks. I like to ride at least 4-5 times a week and that just ain't happening when every single day is either a thunderstorm or it is absolutely down pouring. I am at a point where I would ride if it were just plain old "raining" but that does not seem to happen. It is all about extremes I guess.
- Last Friday I discovered to my HORROR that nearly all the 300+ bales of first crop we have in the barn are MOLDY! :O I cried for about 3 hours, then I got angry. We store the hay in 2 big open bays on the left side of the barn. There is no hay loft. The big doors (front and back) are always open. Yes it has been rainy but to me that did not seem to be a good excuse for hay to mold. Luckily we still have about 30 bales from last year (I wanted to be extra safe and not run out) and none of that turned moldy at all. Hmmm....me thinks the new hay was wet to start with. GRRR.....Finally talked to my hay guy last night and he apologized for not getting back to me sooner. He promised to make it right and will hopefully be here some night this week to take a look at it.
- Not only is there mold on the hay (!!!), but there is mold on my riding boots and tack. I just LOVE that! :P
- The paddocks are a mess!!! Usually this time of year the mares spend more time in the pastures anyway and the paddocks are cleaned out in the spring. Then they dry up well over the summer and look pretty good. NOT this year. There is mud everywhere and the manure is impossible to pick up. Not to mention most of the manure piles are MOLDY! Grrrr.....
- My jump field (grass) is too wet to jump in. For one thing the footing is just too slippery to jump. Plus, even if I did want to chance jumping, I would destroy the footing. So no jumping for us in the past 3 weeks. I am hoping to jump tonight when I go out and then again on Friday. There is a SPHO-ME show this Sunday and I would like to have jumped before the one jumping class there! :P
- Everything is just damp and miserable. I just hate this much rain. I dread to think what the fall will be like. Usually we got a ton of rain in the fall, so I have that to look forward to. I wish we had had a hot and sunny summer. We did not even put the AC in the window this year!!!!
Ok I feel better. I might have more things to add to this list....but I hear my husband's truck in the driveway. Time to ride!!!! :)