Thursday, October 9, 2008

Lesson 10/4/08

I took a lesson last Saturday....I just have had no time to write about it! With the lack of light in the evenings as well as my teaching job I have not been able to stick with my Tuesday night lessons. There was just no way I could fit everything into one day like that anymore. SO I have been riding on Saturdays and that seems to be working out well.

My lesson on 10/4 was great. I wanted to work on continuing to make sure I am keeping a steady connection to the bit...sometimes I worry when I ride at home that I am not being "firm" enough. Then we also worked on cantering from the walk. That is a challenge right now. The actual depart (upwards transition) is not bad.....but the downward transition to the trot is HORRENDOUS. It kills me because I want everything to be correct. But because Dreamy is still not convinced she likes this CONNECTION all the time, nor does she 100% understand what I am asking of her yet, she YANKS my arms out of their sockets in the downward. I am trying my very best to sit up and not allow her to pull me, but sometimes it is nearly impossible....seeing as I weigh 120 pounds soaking wet and her head and neck alone weigh more than that! LOL!

Then we did a bit of sitting trot at the end. That has been coming along nicely in the last month or so. I have been working hard on my position. Plus Dreamy's jarring trot (to sit to) has become much floatier (is that a word?) and fluid since we have been steady in the bridle and coming through over the back 100% of the time. Suddenly her sitting trot is gorgeous to ride. :)

Afterwards, I was invited along for a trail ride with my instructor Judy, her boarder, and her boarder's student. (Oh forgot to mention.....during the entire lesson Judy's boarder was giving a Parelli type lesson at the other end of the ring with a big old plastic bag on a whip. Dreamy was curious but did not bat an eye. I was proud.....since I have never done any plastic-bag-on-a-stick tricks with her...LOL). I figured it would be a 30 min. trail ride give or take....and I think it ended up more like an hour and a half. Normally that would have been fine, but I was freezing (sun was going down and I only had a t-shirt on) and my boys were waiting at home to go to the fair. WHOOPS.

Unfortunately, S was ugly at me by the time I got home and took care of the horses and showered.....which did not take THAT long...I was ready about 1 hour later than he had wanted to leave. I figured it was no big deal, but he acted like a complete and utter baby about the entire thing. Well, whatever. No fair for me this year. :P

Anyway, good lessons are always nice to write about. I am marshaling at Scarborough Downs this Sunday 10/12 and then have the last dressage show of the year on Sunday 10/19. That is it for showing for 2008. I have a lesson scheduled for Saturday 10/25.....and foolish me forgot that November is hunting season....so I have a strong feeling there will be NO lessons for me in November. I become a hunter's widow in November....which means no truck to haul the horse trailer and no one to watch C. BUGGER. :(

3 comments:

OnTheBit said...

haha...stupid having to share the truck :P At least things are going well now so you are taking a break from your lessons on a high note.

STB Eventer said...

Oh my word....you have no idea how much I dislike sharing the truck! Not to mention S's truck is his yucky old work truck (he is a forester and logger), so it has a flatbed with a big smelly diesel tank and various tool boxes. UGGG. It cracks me up to be parked at a dressage show amongst all the DQ's custom painted trucks. ROFL! At least we have a truck and trailer I suppose. My next vehicle will be MY OWN truck to pull MY OWN trailer...LOL! Unfortunately my little Honda Civic is only 3 years old and was bought when I was commuting an hour to work. I now work 5 miles from the house. Someday I will have a use for my bumper sticker....Real Women Drive Trucks. For now it sits propped up in my office. SIGH.

OnTheBit said...

haha...I have to share a truck also...with my poor dad...who hates horses. We went in on it together though and he took $3,000 off of my half when we first bought it on the condition that I clean the truck (which of course has to be white with light grey interior) after I use it. It works out okay, but some days I do dream about just getting my own. It is only 3 years old and has like 12,000 miles on it (can you tell how much we use it) so sharing a truck it is.