Skip to main content

Wentworth Hunter Pace - June 6, 2021

After Margaret and I had such a fun time at the fall hunter pace, we opted to go again this spring! This time, while I rode Rejoice again, Margaret rode her horse Jester and had a friend ride Ladyhawke. All Kennebec Morgans!! Jester and Rejoice have the same dam and Jester and Lady share the same sire. Unfortunately instead of a lovely late spring day, we had one of the first intensely hot and humid days of the year. It was definitely a bummer, but the ride was mostly in the shade of the woods and we had a great time!  most of the fences were 3' coops but we found a small log and this hay to jump haha Until we didn't. 😑 We brought along a third friend who rode Margaret's older mare, Ladyhawke. She's a good rider but hasn't known Ladyhawke for very long and didn't realize how much of a cranky boss mare she could be at times. She kicked Jester right in the front leg just about halfway through the ride, and while the cut itself ended up not being a big deal in the

My Fire Breathing Dragon

So I finally got to ride today. I could not last weekend due to the rain, but it finally cleared off here this afternoon. It has now been 2 weeks since I last rode. BAH!

And of course, Dreamy was a complete and utter fire breathing dragon. Granted, she has not been worked (which has made her PISSED), but it was also VERY windy today. Also the temps have dropped dramatically, and these two things made for one high-as-a-kite pony today.

She is one hell of a crow hopper, I will tell you what. That was a first. :P

When my lunatic mare finally calmed down, I decided today was going to be a fine day to do some trotting, but mostly working on the connection to the bit at the walk. And there was no way I could canter because of the footing being soggy. So I sucked it up, told myself to feel lucky I was riding at all, and put my Puritan work ethic on the back burner. OK, in the trash.

It was actually a good thing for her to be so wound up. Usually she is so calm and stoic at home that I cannot work on relaxation techniques (such as I would need at the track or once in a while at a show). So we practiced marching at the walk and stepping up into the bridle. That one took a while. What a little brat she can be! :P

Then I would let the reins out S L O W L Y. She wanted to grab and yank, but I finally got some great transitions between our working walk and walking on a loose rein. When she feels like working, Dreamy can be pretty darn stretchy.

I did some trot work, but she was so flighty, I limited it to about 5 mins total. Plus she is out of shape. But mostly I was worried that if she did shy or crow hop at the trot, because of the soggy footing in the field, she might slip or hurt herself. The best thing is that while she was stupid, she was not unsafe.....well except for maybe the crow hops in the very first minute of the ride. LOL!

It was sorta like being at the track. She almost wanted to lose her halt, so we did a ton of halts interspersed throughout. She did not mind standing for about 3 seconds, but then wanted to shift around.....not move off like at the track, but just start shifting her weight. So it was actually a productive ride, though maybe not to my Puritan dressage standards, but nonetheless we did accomplish something by the end.

I remembered today that I wanted to do a ton of groundwork with Dreamy this winter (inspired by our run in with a tarp in a trail class this past summer......which she DID go over after a 10 second balk, but she leaped it rather than walk over it) so I must make a list of what I want to accomplish by spring. It may not improve our dressage work, but at least it will give me goals and plans for now.

I am also wondering if a copper bit would help her "dry mouth".....but I cannot find a french link eggbutt with a copper mouthpiece....only french link loose rings. Oh dear, the bit search. LOL! Well at least it will give me something to do.

Comments

  1. I actually found a Dover today, and saw some bits like the one you're looking for:

    http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp?pn=X1-010157&idu=1A93FEDJYW9Q&ids=59231649

    Of course the one I saw was a Korsteel with the oval link in the center, although I can't seem to find it on their website. I switched Will from a French link to that oval mouth last year and he really LOVED it, although he does also prefer his loose ring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, thanks NTAT! Is that bit a weird color or am I just weird? If it is a funny color, does it look odd? Do you know what I mean?

    I prefer a loose ring french link, but then again, I am not the one actually wearing it! LOL! Dreamy LOVES the french link, but the loose rings pinch the corners of her mouth/lips. SO I have had great luck with my eggbutt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did the bit you saw look like this?

    http://www.freedomrider.com/bits1d.html

    Third one down. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It IS a funny color -- it's "copper enhanced German Silver," which basically means they get to charge you EXTRA for it being a funny color. ;)

    The bit I saw was the same (Kortseel, eggbutt, oval mouth) but it was ALL copper, not just the center link.

    I had the same problem with loose rings pinching Will, until I went up a few sizes -- he wears a 5.5" loose ring, even though when I had him in a full-cheek it was only 5". It looks a little big on him sometimes but he's very happy with it, so I won't argue with success.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!