Skip to main content

Wentworth Hunter Pace - June 6, 2021

After Margaret and I had such a fun time at the fall hunter pace, we opted to go again this spring! This time, while I rode Rejoice again, Margaret rode her horse Jester and had a friend ride Ladyhawke. All Kennebec Morgans!! Jester and Rejoice have the same dam and Jester and Lady share the same sire. Unfortunately instead of a lovely late spring day, we had one of the first intensely hot and humid days of the year. It was definitely a bummer, but the ride was mostly in the shade of the woods and we had a great time!  most of the fences were 3' coops but we found a small log and this hay to jump haha Until we didn't. 😑 We brought along a third friend who rode Margaret's older mare, Ladyhawke. She's a good rider but hasn't known Ladyhawke for very long and didn't realize how much of a cranky boss mare she could be at times. She kicked Jester right in the front leg just about halfway through the ride, and while the cut itself ended up not being a big deal in the

Odds and Ends

Well, first off, let me say that I am SCARED sh!tless for this weekend's show. For some reason, competing at NEDA Spring down in MA seemed like such a good idea back in February. Now, just six days out, I am rather nervous! I got my times:

Training 2 = 1:33
Training 4 = 3:00

There are eight riders in my T2 class and 22 (HOLY CRAP) in my T4 class. There will be no ribbons this weekend. I am just aiming to break 60% on both tests. That is all I want. :)

Also, I am in the process of breaking in my new tall boots. Seeing as I bought them in March (I think...) there is no excuse for them to not be ready. I just kept putting it off because I KNOW they will hurt. So right now I am wearing them and my legs feel as though they might fall off. UGGG. They are Ariat Challenge Field Boots. I broke in my last pair of boots the fall of 1997, which was my first semester at college. I had to walk to the barn from my dorm and well, they broke in pretty quickly. That was nice, but it was also VERY painful! I DO NOT WANT any blisters! :(

And finally, my really awesome news is that I received a card from one of Dreamy's past owners. I wrote to all her owners on her papers back in the winter of 2007. Only one person wrote back within a month or so. When no one else wrote, I forgot about it.

Well, today I got a card from Dr. Schlesinger and his wife. They wrote:

Ms. Tewksbury,

I am very sorry that we have not written back sooner concerning "Dreamy Starlet". When we had her she was a spunky filly with a lot of promise! When she developed her chips I determined her racing time was over. I was an equine veterinarian then so I could have done the surgery but ending her racing career was the alternative. She was like a big puppy ready for everything. She had quite a disposition and lots of spunk. We were sorry to let her go. We are very glad a wonderful person like you has her. Maybe some day if it is OK we might come visit. Give her a hug for us.

OK, I admit it, I cried. It was so sweet of them to write and I love that they chose to retire her so young rather than do surgery and race her. And give her a hug? And come visit her? OMG, I love race owners like that. I am going to send them back a letter and pics, plus a list of where we will show in New England and New Jersey this year. I would love for them to see her at a show or even come to Maine. I wish they had pics of her from back then. She was only three when they owned her. :)

Well, I need to post the full story about the Linda Zang clinic. HOLY CRAP, IT WAS AWESOME! I am in the process of setting up lessons with Lendon Gray. I plan to go down to her NY farm for a couple of days this coming August. :)

Comments

  1. That is so sweet. I hope you get lots of pics. It is really nice when a previous owner really cares about their horses.

    Can't wait for the Symposium piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck at your show! I would expect T4 to be the biggest, as everyone needs that for a qualifying score. Is that with JR/AA/Open divisions or will they split them up further?

    It's nice that you heard back from Dreamy's former owners! I still keep in touch with Willie's last owner, and he sees him every year at the National Show, but I've thought about tracking down the others, too -- he only had three throughout his racing life, including the breeder. The last owner, Tony, does keep in touch with the guy he bought Willie from, and it doesn't sound like he'd be the sort to write back, but I've considered writing to the breeder a few times. I have his address and a rough copy and everything... What's the worst that can happen, he ignores me?

    ReplyDelete
  3. SCC - Isn't that nice? I was pretty shocked! :) I have written the first half about the sympsoium. I think my writing will deteriorate if I stay up too much longer.....so second half tomorrow! :)

    NTAT - Thanks! I need the luck! From the looks of it, they do not separate Jr/AA/Open for placings. So the numbers (8 and 22) include everyone. I wish they pinned us each separately, because then I would definitely be bringing home two ribbons, at least two sixths! LOL!

    Definitely write! You never know..... :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. You will be fine! I know the show management company well (they run the memorial day shows by me where I have been suckered into volunteering every year since they took over) and if they are in a good mood they will break up your class into at least 2 sections. And I have faith you will pin in at least one of your classes even if you don't. Just remember that a horse show is just a horse show. Plus added bonus that you might get to rub elbows with some big time riders and trainers and show off your mare.

    As for the letter from her old owners. I love it! It made me tear up to. I hope you get to meet them! And can I get a copy of your NJ show schedule too :P

    ps - guess what my verification word was? regamate! They must know you have a mare :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks OTB! I know, it is not about ribbons. And truly I just want to break 60% on both tests.

    You will definitely get a copy of the NJ show schedule! :D

    Regumate? Now THAT is funny! ROFL!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!