Skip to main content

Wentworth Hunter Pace - June 6, 2021

After Margaret and I had such a fun time at the fall hunter pace, we opted to go again this spring! This time, while I rode Rejoice again, Margaret rode her horse Jester and had a friend ride Ladyhawke. All Kennebec Morgans!! Jester and Rejoice have the same dam and Jester and Lady share the same sire. Unfortunately instead of a lovely late spring day, we had one of the first intensely hot and humid days of the year. It was definitely a bummer, but the ride was mostly in the shade of the woods and we had a great time!  most of the fences were 3' coops but we found a small log and this hay to jump haha Until we didn't. 😑 We brought along a third friend who rode Margaret's older mare, Ladyhawke. She's a good rider but hasn't known Ladyhawke for very long and didn't realize how much of a cranky boss mare she could be at times. She kicked Jester right in the front leg just about halfway through the ride, and while the cut itself ended up not being a big deal in the

Day Fourteen: 30 Day Challenge

Day Fourteen: Your dream barn/farm

Oh, this is a fun one!  My dream farm would be on 80+ acres somewhere with no winter/snow and no natural disasters.  LOL!  (Can you tell I am sick to death of winter??)  I would want a six stall barn, 12x12 matted stalls, three on each side of the aisle, with Dutch doors opening up to paddocks and sliding doors on the front.  I would want each stall to have one of those little grain windows and automatic waterers with a gauge so I would know how much each horse was drinking.  The aisle would have the nice rubber pavers like they have at Hay Fever Farm.  Might as well have the gorgeous stall fronts and the pretty architecture like they have too!  I would want a heated tack room with a big sink and washer/dryer, grain room with space for bedding storage, and a huge hayloft.  No wait, I might as well have a separate hay building, since this is a dream.  :-)  I would want a wash stall with hot/cold water.   I would need carriage storage too.  All the fences would be four rail wood.  Each horse would have a paddock that opened up to a larger grass field.  There would be an indoor with top-of-the-line footing and lots of mirrors.  There would be gorgeous windows in the indoor, like at  Spring Creek Farm (where I have taken a few clinics...love that indoor!!).  I would have an outdoor dressage ring set up and a jumping ring, as well as a full cross country course.  Maybe I would do clinics and shows, but no boarding and no training or anything like that.


Oh such a dream!  I will never own anything at all like that.  The closest I might ever get would be to board somewhere like that.  :-)


In reality, some day I hope to build a new house and barn on the 15 acres we own in the neighboring town.  The barn will have four stalls, 12x12 matted or clay, with the Dutch and sliding doors as above.  The grain windows are mandatory though...but no automatic waterers.  I will have a rough concrete aisle with a row of mats down the center.  I am sure the tack room will not be heated but I want a sink and maybe the washer/dryer.  It would save my house set, that is for sure!  Hay would have to be stored in the loft, as I am sure I would not be able to afford a separate hay building.  If I cannot have an indoor wash stall, I want an outdoor concrete slab with a drain to bathe horses.  The fences will be what I have now (BayGuard electric fence) or that white electric cord stuff.  Maybe I will look into what my instructor has...no idea what it is but I like it.  I will still have paddocks off the stalls that open up to larger grass pastures. Definitely NO indoor!  But I want a real ring, full dressage size, as opposed to having to ride in the uneven field that I have now.  :-P  I would be able to set up my jumps like I do now...I could not have separate rings for each.


Oh, to dream.......  :-D

Comments

  1. That's ME on the lunge line of the Spring Creek Farm website (under lessons) ! : )
    I like your post because it clearly shows you have been dreaming of your ideal barn for a looooong time : ) I think all of us "horse folks" could answer this post with delight! I enjoyed reading yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought that might be you! LOL!!! :-D

    Oh, yes, I think about my dream barn all the time.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!