Day Twenty Seven: You know you're an equestrian when.... (list five things)
1. When spending hundreds of dollars on your horse is completely normal to you, but spending more than $50 on yourself seems extravagant. (Case in point: the $$$$$ I spend each year for routine veterinary care for my horses fair outweighs what it would have cost to have my broken finger fixed years ago. Instead I told myself I was fine, ignored the intense pain in my finger, and now I have a weird looking pointer finger. Or the fact that I will spend $100+ on a horse blanket but will wait as long as possible before I buy myself new socks, preferring to wait until the holes are so large I might as well not even wear socks. Sad but true).
2. When you plan your summer vacation (I teach high school so I get a wickedfreakingawesome long vacation) around your horse shows. When you will ditch family events because you have a horse show....or will leave the event early to go to the horse show. See here.
3. When you half halt your car/truck. Not kidding, I truly do this without thinking. I try to half halt my truck ALL THE TIME. For the record, it does not work. The brake works much better. I also think about leg yielding my truck whenever I change lanes.
4. When you have repurposed household items for the barn.......I use old toothbrushes to clean tack (though I have been known to open a brandy new one if needed), I find that toothpaste works great to clean bits, I took a brand new Pampered Chef spatula given to me as a gift to the barn when I needed to mix supplements without thinking twice, I get excited when a bath towel is threadbare enough for the barn though I have taken brand new gifted towels straight to the barn when they are a nice color/texture, when I found out the large pumpkin filling tin cans hold exactly one pound of my horses' grain I was seriously excited.....the list goes on.
5. You critique other animals' way of going as a matter of course....how many times have I admired my dog's clean changes??? Or my cat's ground covering lengthened trot? Sad. Just sad.
6. When you call your doctor your vet. How many times did I do that when I was pregnant???? LOL! And I have called my dog's paw a hoof. Non-horse people at work think I am absolutely insane. It's OK, I sort of am! LOL!
7. When the broom in the barn is used more than the broom in the house. Oh, don't even get me started. My barn is so much cleaner than my house! I mean, my barn gets cleaned and swept every single day! Sometimes twice if needed! LOL! My house is lucky to be cleaned once a week! LOL!
8. When you are pretty sure you ought to have asked for a riding ring rather than a diamond engagement ring. I think this all the time! LOL! My husband thinks I am crazy. I asked for a two-wheeled wheelbarrow the first birthday I had my horses at home and it was seriously the best birthday gift he has ever gotten me!
9. You've hauled hay, shavings, and grain in your little Honda Civic. Thank goodness I now have a 3/4 ton GMC truck! LOL!
10. Number of items in my horse's grooming kit: over 20. Items in my own: 3 (face soap, Blistex, and a hair brush).
11. When you think about how a piece of music would work with your horse's gait. I have so many ideas written down for a musical freestyle! :-)
12. When you buy so many carrots at the grocery store each week (a five pound bag each time) that the cashiers actually take notice and remark that you must really like carrots! (And then I just tell them that actually my horses do! LOL!)
13. You spend hundreds of dollars on horse shows just for the chance to win .95 ribbons. Yup, guilty. :-)
14.When you have more framed photos and larger scrapbooks for your horse than your own children. Yes, I admit, I have way more pics of my horses.
Oops, I think it called for five. I guess I was on a roll!