Tuesday, November 15, 2011

NaBloPoMo Day #15

Day #15 - Any special tricks my horse knows


None of my three mares know any tricks.  I have thought about teaching them to bow, but I never really followed through with it.  I guess I am not really a trick type of person.  My horses are not circus acts.  ;-)  Asking my horses to do tricks feels as though I am degrading them.


I do have a funny story about tricks though.  When I first got Sparky years ago, I found out by accident that she had been taught how to "beg" for treats.  As her eleventh owner in her ten years of life, it did not surprise me that someone along the line taught her a trick.  I was about to feed her a treat but got sidetracked talking to someone (I think it was my mother).  Sparky was on crossties and knew I had the treat.  She ended up raising her foreleg and "begging" for the treat.  I remember laughing and finding it super funny.  I tried it again, and she lifted her foreleg again.  I never did it too much, but every once in a while I would ask for her to "beg".  I know I did it much more when I was younger, and would often show new people how my horse "knew a trick". 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!