Skip to main content

Wentworth Hunter Pace - June 6, 2021

After Margaret and I had such a fun time at the fall hunter pace, we opted to go again this spring! This time, while I rode Rejoice again, Margaret rode her horse Jester and had a friend ride Ladyhawke. All Kennebec Morgans!! Jester and Rejoice have the same dam and Jester and Lady share the same sire. Unfortunately instead of a lovely late spring day, we had one of the first intensely hot and humid days of the year. It was definitely a bummer, but the ride was mostly in the shade of the woods and we had a great time!  most of the fences were 3' coops but we found a small log and this hay to jump haha Until we didn't. 😑 We brought along a third friend who rode Margaret's older mare, Ladyhawke. She's a good rider but hasn't known Ladyhawke for very long and didn't realize how much of a cranky boss mare she could be at times. She kicked Jester right in the front leg just about halfway through the ride, and while the cut itself ended up not being a big deal in the

NaBloPoMo Day #16

Day #16 - Progress I have made with my horse since I bought her

Reva
Since Reva came into my life back in 2009, she has made a lot of progress.  I taught her to walk, trot, and canter under saddle.  In fact, besides a bareback pony ride by my friend Helene, I am the only person who has ridden her at all.  She has learned how to be a "fancy show horse" (LOL) by going to day and overnight shows here in Maine and the National show in New Jersey.  She has made a huge amount of progress in a short time, and I am super proud of her.  :-)




Dreamy
Obviously, Dreamy is much the same way as Reva.  She had actually never had anyone on her back when I got her years ago.  She has progressed from a completely unbroke 15 year old broodmare into a successful show horse and trusted friend.  Her awards are listed on the right side of my blog...but more importantly she she has become a wonderful ambassador for her breed and one of my "heart horses".  She made me grow as a rider and learn to appreciate the training process.


Sparky
Sparky was "trained" under saddle when I first got her, but she was not properly trained.  She also had trust issues with humans...I had a hard time convincing her to let me brush her and catch her in the pasture/stall.  She was successful in the show ring in many disciplines, jumped around many cross country courses, trotted up center line for me numerous times, and learned a new discipline (carriage driving) at age 18.  She turned into my best friend and the most trusted equine partner that I think I will ever have in my life.  :-)

Comments

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!