Wednesday, November 23, 2011

NaBloPoMo Day #23

Day #23 - Any competing I do with my horse


I love to show and any regular readers of my blog know I do a lot of competing.  Dressage shows, open pleasure shows, three and two phase events, versatility challenges, I love them all.  I have shown at schooling shows, USDF rated shows, "AA" rated shows and everything in between.  I have shown all over New England and have gone to New Jersey for the last four years to attend the National Standardbred Show.  I don't need to bore you with all the details of all the many places I have shown!


In many ways, showing helps motivate me.  My tack is cleaner when I show too!  LOL!  ;-)  Being at home with no one to ride with (unless I make specific plans) can be difficult to keep focused.  It is too easy to take a day off from riding if I am tired and no one is there encouraging me to ride with them, so knowing I have to prepare for a show helps keep me motivated to ride six days a week.  I like having challenges and setting goals with my horses.  But simply making training goals are not enough for my competitive nature.  I like to show in order to test our training and of course ribbons are FUN!  ;-)  But showing for me is also a social opportunity.  The camaraderie and silly memories are just as much fun as winning a ribbon. 


Now, I do want to say that I have nothing against those who chose to not show for any variety of reasons.  Showing is not the "be all, end all" in terms of horses.  I respect people who do not show just as much as those who do.  If enjoying your horse without showing is what makes you happy, GO FOR IT!  :-)  I just know for me personally I would not be happy without showing at least a few times a year.  I don't think that showing defines who a person is.  Of course, I like sharing my successes here on my blog and posting pics, etc. etc.  But does that make me a better horseman?  No way!  But of course, this is all my opinion and I am sure there are others out there who disagree.  That is OK!  I just wanted to make it clear that just because I love to show does not mean I look down upon anyone who does not.


Reva's first show ~ May 2011
Ribbons from Dreamy's first show ~ August 2006
My first show with Sparky (and our first blue ribbon!) ~ York County Riders 1994

1 comment:

  1. Sparky looks so proud! And very morgan-esque :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment!