Skip to main content

Wentworth Hunter Pace - June 6, 2021

After Margaret and I had such a fun time at the fall hunter pace, we opted to go again this spring! This time, while I rode Rejoice again, Margaret rode her horse Jester and had a friend ride Ladyhawke. All Kennebec Morgans!! Jester and Rejoice have the same dam and Jester and Lady share the same sire. Unfortunately instead of a lovely late spring day, we had one of the first intensely hot and humid days of the year. It was definitely a bummer, but the ride was mostly in the shade of the woods and we had a great time!  most of the fences were 3' coops but we found a small log and this hay to jump haha Until we didn't. 😑 We brought along a third friend who rode Margaret's older mare, Ladyhawke. She's a good rider but hasn't known Ladyhawke for very long and didn't realize how much of a cranky boss mare she could be at times. She kicked Jester right in the front leg just about halfway through the ride, and while the cut itself ended up not being a big deal in the

NaBloPoMo Day #4

Day 4 - My horse's favorite thing to do

Well, this is a hard one.  Just because I think my horse "likes" to do something does mean I am correct!  LOL!  ;-)  But I will make my best guess.


Reva
I would have to say that Reva's favorite thing to do is to be the center of attention and go fast!  She is a complete "pocket pony" without being rude or pushy.  She ADORES people.  I have seriously never been around a horse who loves people as much as she does.  She follows me around any chance she gets, she will stand forever to be brushed and scratched, and she will leave her grain to give me smooches.  I think it is pretty impressive for a horse to leave her GRAIN just to love on her human.  :-D


The other thing she does appear to love to do is go fast!  She loves to self exercise in her field, running and leaping up the big hill, bucking and farting around her hay pile, and then speeding back down the hill to start again.  She is playful and enjoys acting like a kid!  (Well, she is only 5, so I suppose this is to be expected.)  She seems to like learning new things under saddle, but the one thing she is pretty sure she ought to do if be FAST.  Her trot is super fast but she is learning how to respond to half halts so I am not constantly having to "rate" her speed.  I think she enjoyed showing saddleseat this year for just that reason...I let her trot faster than I do when she is going hunt seat or dressage.


Dreamy
Dreamy's favorite thing to do is probably grazing and trail riding.  I think she enjoys showing to a point, but I also think she much rather be home relaxing.  Trail riding on the buckle or cantering along the trails seems to be when she is most relaxed and happy.  And I think Dreamy would enjoy a 50+ acre field of lush grass...she has about an acre to graze on and a smaller dirt paddock (all to herself), but she sometimes gets into moods where she will break through the fence (!!!!) to graze on the lawn.  Arg!  She has been doing this lately and it drives me nuts!  LOL!


Sparky
Sparky seems to love her stall, relaxing in the sunshine, and eating cookies!  She always preferred driving to riding, but now she is mostly retired.  She never used to like being groomed and fussed over, but I have noticed in the last few months she is enjoying grooming much more.  Maybe she misses the more frequent attention she used to have when she was in constant work.  It has now been five years since she was retired from the show ring.  But Sparky's favorite thing is treats!  She loves horse cookies and I feed each mare a "Rounder" cookie after chores while they are eating their grain in their stalls.  Sparky has me trained; she will stand and wait at her door for her treat each night.  :-)

Comments