On the phone, my vet felt pretty sure it was an abscess though. I figured it couldn't hurt to start soaking her and see what we got. He couldn't make it out until later in the week, but assured me Reva would most likely be just fine. I knew I could just wait and soak her and it would probably heal up with no need for a vet, but having never EVER dealt with an abscess, I felt better knowing a vet would look at her. Of course, within a day, I was all out of the Betadine and Vetwrap in my first aid kit. I ended up spending nearly a hundred bucks on Betadine, Vetwrap (I think we used over 10 rolls!!), Animalintex poultice, baby diapers, and duct tape!! LOL!
|Mac and Lucy waiting patiently with me as we soak Reva's hoof for 20 minutes!|
|Reva was so good about having her hoof soaked!|
|Waiting for the hoof to soak...|
|The cheap diapers I bought...after using a few I realized what they said. Reva is a monkey all right!|
She was put on SMZs for 10 days, which was actually fairly easy with her. I just made her grain meals into a mash and the pills dissolved easily in the warm water. Reva was pretty sure she was the luckiest horse ever to have so many grain mashes! I continued soaking her hoof through the following Monday, doing the poultice for a few more days but then moving on to just a diaper. By the following Tuesday, she seemed pretty comfortable and ready to go without a wrap. That day my other vet, who I just use for chiro work, was already scheduled to come out to and work on Reva anyway. I was happy for another vet to take a look at her abscess and give me the all clear!
The chiro vet not only worked on her body, but also did acupuncture on her left front pastern area to help speed the healing in that hoof. He found her SI joint out of whack as well as some tension in her poll and left jaw. She really was not in as bad of shape as I had anticipated. She trotted sound and I knew it was time to put her back to work. I gave her a few days off because of the chiro adjustment, and we finally went back to work on April 7. All told, she had 15 days off which seemed like an eternity! I was so bummed out, but in the end it all worked out. I guess I rather see us miss two weeks of spring conditioning than have this happen in the middle of the summer! Our first show was not until May 6, so I knew I still had plenty of time to restart our conditioning program.
I really hope I don't have to deal with another abscess any time soon. It was a pain in the butt! LOL! The interesting part was when the farrier came out to trim her in mid April, he was able to find the tract of the abscess in the bottom of her hoof. It showed the very obvious path that "something" travelled up through her sole and out the back of her coronet band above her heel. It thought that was pretty cool.