Dreamy and I did very well and had a great day! I am proud of her for holding her own in the open classes, which unless they are specifically a hunter class, we compete against hunt seat, saddleseat, and western riders. It was rainy in the morning and then SUPER HOT the rest of the day! Blah!! I love the heat, but this was a little much. The show grounds don't have a lick of shade, so it was a bit exhausting to be in the sun all day long. I literally left my house at 7:30AM and got home at 6:30PM. Thankfully, though Dreamy does not usually drink much at all while at shows (even when I bring her own water from home), she did suck down three and a half full buckets that day! I also gave her a dose of paste electrolytes to be on the safe side. I had eight bottles of water, which was approximately a gallon and I probably should have had more!
My friend Stephanie had her Standardbred stallion there for the in-hand class. He is still racing and looked great. My friend Shelly rode her leased QH gelding for the first time and had a great show. And my friend Katie had her Standardbred gelding there for his second show! She did well too, though she struggled with the heat at the end of the day. It was just brutal.
- Adult Equitation, Open - 2nd out of five
- Hunter Pleasure Horse, Open - 5th out of thirteen!
- Ladies Pleasure Horse, Open - 4th out of five (We had an accidental break to the trot for a couple strides when cantering - other than that she was great!)
- MHA Medallion Pleasure Horse or Pony, Open - 4th out of five (Another break to the trot - I put my spurs on after this class...)
- Hunter Pleasure Equitation, Open - 2nd out of three
- NEHC Pleasure Horse or Pony, Open - 3rd out of three (We got a wrong lead in the right canter - whoops! That has not happened in a long time! She was a tired old mare, so I can most certainly forgive her. I am sure it was rider error!!)
- MHA Pleasure Horse, English - 5th out of nine (Decent ride but she was getting tired!!)
- Hunter Pleasure Horse Championship - 6th out of six (We were both exhausted and I probably should have scratched. We had breaks to the trot while cantering. It's OK though, because Dreamy really tried hard to do well. I cannot fault her for a last place finish in our last class of a very long and hot day!)