Skip to main content

Wentworth Hunter Pace - June 6, 2021

After Margaret and I had such a fun time at the fall hunter pace, we opted to go again this spring! This time, while I rode Rejoice again, Margaret rode her horse Jester and had a friend ride Ladyhawke. All Kennebec Morgans!! Jester and Rejoice have the same dam and Jester and Lady share the same sire. Unfortunately instead of a lovely late spring day, we had one of the first intensely hot and humid days of the year. It was definitely a bummer, but the ride was mostly in the shade of the woods and we had a great time!  most of the fences were 3' coops but we found a small log and this hay to jump haha Until we didn't. 😑 We brought along a third friend who rode Margaret's older mare, Ladyhawke. She's a good rider but hasn't known Ladyhawke for very long and didn't realize how much of a cranky boss mare she could be at times. She kicked Jester right in the front leg just about halfway through the ride, and while the cut itself ended up not being a big deal in the

Plans and Goals for 2016

Well, nothing like catching up your very outdated blog to the present time in just 22 posts! LOL!  Things have surely changed since 2013, and I have to say I could not be happier with the changes. Though had you told me three years ago that I would be where I am now, I would have NOT believed it at all!  But life has a funny way of working out and sometimes we need to go through bad times in order to get to the good stuff. 

I was able to ride again six weeks after the little guy was born.  When I say ride, what I really mean is plod around the field trying not to fall off LOL!  My core muscles were pretty much non existent.   
First ride post baby!
Right now, not much is going on with the mares.  We had an unusually warm December which left us with lots of mud, and I was able to hop on and toddle around the yard and fields with them.  Then things froze up and left us with ice!  There is some snow, but the ice is making it tough to ride right now.  It's really not a huge difference that any other winter, where I ride sporadically and wish I had an indoor (haha), but having taken 2015 off from riding is making me super eager to get back into the swing of it all.

This was the BEST December in Maine, ever!
Oh, hello baby!
In the past, I have made a list of goals and plans and calendars, with shows on nearly every weekend.  To be truthful, I am not 100% sure what it is I want to do right now.  A few things I do know for sure are that Dreamy is essentially retired from the show ring and I have no idea what Snappy might be capable of as a show horse LOL!  I don't think I want to do any pleasure ring show, for various reasons, so I think I am going to focus on only dressage and eventing instead.  Maybe Snappy can try a few foxhunts in the fall.  I don't know yet.  

I used to feel such a need to show and prove myself.  I think it was because I was so unhappy with my (personal) life that I needed validation in other ways.  Some people drink excessively, some people cheat on their spouses, but I hit the show ring LOL!!  I guess there are worse things.  I do want to show, but I don't feel that deep need to be gone every single weekend and earn lots of ribbons to make myself feel better about my life.  That's a GOOD thing.  I still have a fierce competitive streak, but it's different now.  And I also want to balance my horse show time with my husband's fairs.  He enjoys pulling his cattle as much as I love to show, so we will find a good mix of venues and dates that ensures we both get to do what we love.

In the meantime, I will keep obsessively writing down show dates and dreaming about warm early spring days to start getting all of us back into shape!  :-)

Comments