Skip to main content

Wentworth Hunter Pace - June 6, 2021

After Margaret and I had such a fun time at the fall hunter pace, we opted to go again this spring! This time, while I rode Rejoice again, Margaret rode her horse Jester and had a friend ride Ladyhawke. All Kennebec Morgans!! Jester and Rejoice have the same dam and Jester and Lady share the same sire. Unfortunately instead of a lovely late spring day, we had one of the first intensely hot and humid days of the year. It was definitely a bummer, but the ride was mostly in the shade of the woods and we had a great time!  most of the fences were 3' coops but we found a small log and this hay to jump haha Until we didn't. 😑 We brought along a third friend who rode Margaret's older mare, Ladyhawke. She's a good rider but hasn't known Ladyhawke for very long and didn't realize how much of a cranky boss mare she could be at times. She kicked Jester right in the front leg just about halfway through the ride, and while the cut itself ended up not being a big deal in the

Day 20 - Your favorite horse show

My favorite horse show would have to be anything at the University of New Hampshire, because it is my favorite venue!  It is not that far from home, it has great trailer parking, and I went to college there!!!  That is the biggest reason I love to show at UNH; as an alumna I feel like I am riding on my home turf.  A lot of people dislike riding at UNH because of the set-up and the small(er) warm up.  But I just love it, and Dreamy always loved showing there.

Of course, I worked at the horse barns during college!  This was one of our summer crews.
I have competed at UNH in the combined test, spring/fall horse trials, dressage shows, jumper shows, and even the Little Royal livestock show (only open to students, where the horses went first, then the dairy cows.  The top horse and top dairy person competed against each other for the Overall winner).  Hopefully, once Ellie is ready to enter rated shows, we will do both the dressage and horse trials down there.  

This was the first year I did the Little Royal as a freshman.  We had to show the horse on the sporthorse triangle.  It was also the first time I ever braided haha.  All the other competitors had to show as a part of their class at the 2 year school, but I was the only one who did it just for "fun".  This was Quill, who I also rode during one semester.  I was wearing my glasses because I had conjunctivitis and I remember it hurt but I was determined to show anyway!
This was the second year I did the Little Royal, again the only student who did it for fun.  I drew a maniac mare who reared and plunged the entire time.  I believe I placed third with her and her name is totally escaping me at the moment.  There were not even any photos of us in the ring or afterwards bc I was eager to get her back in her stall LOL!
The third year I did the Little Royal (my junior year), I drew Millbrook Flashman, a cool little Morgan.  I rode him during one of my colt training classes earlier that fall.  We ended up winning our horse class and then the overall horse class, which meant I got to compete against the dairy winner.  We had to show a horse, then a cow, then a mystery animal.  The year before it was a chicken hahahaha!  This year it was a pair of working steers and somehow I won the overall (clearly a glimpse of my future life)!  It was pretty cool.  I won a big silver cup from Blue Seal, who sponsored the show.  
This was Millbrook Marcy, another Morgan donated from the same New York Farm as Flash (above).  I competed her in the combined test and the horse trials.  She was a super fun mare who was only five and I had in my colt training class that year.

Similar pic as with Marcy (and nearly the same spot)!  This was either the spring horse trials or combined test.  Or maybe a dressage show actually.  I don't remember!

Here is Dreamy and I winning the combined test one spring.

Dreamy and I in dressage at UNH!

Dreamy and I in stadium at UNH!


Comments

  1. Oh gosh! I recognize so many faces in these photos <3 Both horse and human :) UNH is still my favorite venue and I love going back there even now. They are getting fewer and fewer obviously but I still walk through the barns and say hi to the horses I knew. Last time I was there (2016) Quill was still there. He was one of my all time favs as well. Such great memories :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. so cool i love this venue would have loved to ride there. And PS I loved the Millbrook Morgan line. I think you and I could have some GOOD discussions on Morgans :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Home barns always feel so welcoming when it comes to shows.

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a gorgeous venue! awesome to have so many memories there with so many different horses too

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't mind the warmup at UNH; the ring where they usually do stadium is what kills me.

    I never brought Tris there, but rode there for an IHSA show probably fifteen years ago now. I got stuck on a dead boring QH. I wanted one of the Morgans!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!