Skip to main content

Wentworth Hunter Pace - June 6, 2021

After Margaret and I had such a fun time at the fall hunter pace, we opted to go again this spring! This time, while I rode Rejoice again, Margaret rode her horse Jester and had a friend ride Ladyhawke. All Kennebec Morgans!! Jester and Rejoice have the same dam and Jester and Lady share the same sire. Unfortunately instead of a lovely late spring day, we had one of the first intensely hot and humid days of the year. It was definitely a bummer, but the ride was mostly in the shade of the woods and we had a great time!  most of the fences were 3' coops but we found a small log and this hay to jump haha Until we didn't. 😑 We brought along a third friend who rode Margaret's older mare, Ladyhawke. She's a good rider but hasn't known Ladyhawke for very long and didn't realize how much of a cranky boss mare she could be at times. She kicked Jester right in the front leg just about halfway through the ride, and while the cut itself ended up not being a big deal in the

Day 30 - Your future with horses

YAY!!!  Thirty days of posting for NaBloPoMo!  Here is the final entry!  This was fun and helped keep me focused through the month, but yeah, I am definitely feeling some writing fatigue!  :-)

In the immediate future, I hope to continue bringing Ellie along so she trusts me and we build a partnership.  I prefer the slow, systematic, patient approach, so while she is going to be six next June, I don't feel the need to push her because of her age.  We have all the time in the world.  I do hope to get her out more to little shows next year, putzing around at maybe Intro B and C at the local dressage shows and then becoming confident enough in jumping to do some little three phases.  Maybe I'll try more of the H/J shows to do pleasure and equitation classes, since I tend to put MUCH less pressure on myself at those types of shows than in dressage/eventing.  Maybe someday we will try a Morgan show, but I don't know if I want to do that type of showing any longer.  Mostly it would just to see how she stacks up against the breed nowadays, but I don't know.  I just want to get her out and about.  Long term, we will probably try driving at some point, maybe we will chase cows.  I definitely someday want to show her sidesaddle someday.  She is certainly bred to be a versatile mare, but it just depends on her and how things go in our training over the next several years.  Obviously, I like doing ALL THE THINGS, so I see our future being full of fun adventures.


Cute photos just because!

I hope to start lessons soon as well.  There is a (not really local but close enough) eventing instructor moving to a new (to her) farm in December and she plans to start giving lessons there in January once the facility is set up and the horses are all settled in, so I am hoping to get Ellie down there maybe once a week, but at least twice a month.  There is an indoor and the instructor can do both dressage and jumping lessons, which just makes my life easier.  I know her from being around at the same shows and I have seen her students and watched her instruct, so I am hopeful it will be a good match.  She is 50 minutes away, so it won't be easy for me.  But I am hopeful.

With Dreamy, I just want to keep her happy and healthy.  She will be 27 years old this coming year, which means I have now owned her for fifteen years (holy cow).  I am not naive to the fact that she is mortal, but I simply cannot see my future without her at the moment.  It dawned on me the other day that she was going to be turning 27 and I actually started crying.  I don't know, I think I am still too emotional about losing Sparky three years ago, Snappy this year, and I just want Dreamy to keep being a retired pasture puff forever LOL! 

I can safely say that I will probably own horses and ride until the day my body doesn't allow it (and I am sure I will then still try hahaha!)  Horses are a part of me and always will be.  I think my future with horses will be much the same as it is now, riding and showing and having fun.  
 

Comments

  1. whew exhaustion sets in :) ha we are done. I have enjoyed reading your daily blogs and look forward to following you and Ellie wherever you go! She is a really cute Morgan mare and I am pretty sure the sky is the limit. And I hope Dreamy lives another 10 years at least :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on making it thirty days! That's exciting about the potential for lessons too. I'm with ya on wanting to do all the things with horses - there's so much out there to be enjoyed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on 30 days. I have yet to actually get a horse up to old age, but I look forward to having retirees and letting them grow old with me.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!